Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fall, not my time of year.

I'll be honest, fall is not my most favorite season. I prefer the anticipation of spring and the heat that comes with summer. Winter, now that's my least favorite of all. I don' t care if I never have to endure another winter, I've had my share of it.

Maybe I don't like fall because I know winter is right around the corner. Maybe it's because to me fall means the growing season is coming to an end, to me it means death.
 I'm a Gardner, I want to grow, I want to live.

I find no comfort in the crisp air, the falling leaves, the fall colors. Winter is on the way.  Soon we'll be surrounded by those dreaded four letter words; Cold and Snow. 
I do enjoy pumpkins and Halloween and decorating for Christmas, but this is short lived. I 've always thought  this would be more enjoyable if it wasn't so darn cold.

Some might say that we are lucky here in Michigan to have weather that represents all four seasons. The worst part is when Mother Nature does not know when to turn on or off these seasons. I can remember as a kid going Trick or Treating and having to wear a winter coat over my costume, there is nothing fun about a pumpkin with snow on it. I can also remember freezing temps in the middle of May, tulips under snow is not a good look. Cold always seems to come to early, or stays to long, I think most Gardner's would agree.

I do enjoy doing fall plantings, by this time I am ready for a change. Planting tulips gives me hope for spring, but before I can enjoy the blooms I know the inevitable is coming.


I think it's safe for me to say fall is not my time of year. Enjoy the few warm day we have, because it won't last for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment