Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sticks and Branches,and still cold

 I know.... the calendar Say's spring began two day ago, but it's still cold here in Michigan. Spring doesn't really start here til mid or late April.  The Crocus are blooming, but it's still very dismal and grey outside. The grass is starting to show signs of life....it's all the cold rain, but to me it all just looks like a bunch of sticks.
 A good friend of mine is starting to landscape her new garden in Oregon. She is already enjoying spring. We have grey cold sticks and branches. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot you can do with sticks and branches. Fact is I love using them in my designs, and seeing how other artist use them too.
 Check out these sticks, this is the work of an artist in India.
 Birds love sticks. Take a look at this Cardinal in my front porch winter pots..... O.K he's not a real bird but doesn't he look happy in the sticks and branches?
 Here's another way to use branches in pots. Here tree branches were used to decorate the entrance of a church. Simply add some white birds, you know something magical was going on inside.
 This time of year pussy willow branches are great......they are one of my favorites, along with red twigs. These pots were done for a client of mine who wanted something in her pots for a early March party. It's too early to plant anything, so sticks were the answer.
 I know cut branches and sticks are dead, but look at how much life and structure they give to these winter pots. They can be used in thier natural state or spray painted any color you desire. The possibilities are endless. This is just a sample of how I use them  in my work.
 This artist Patrick Dougherty uses sticks to a whole new level creating sculptural structures....WOW!!

 This makes me think of the Wizard of Oz for some reason...it's almost magical don't you think?
 My Big Bad Cat even uses sticks of the cookie kind in his Chocolate Mousse desserts. Yummy!!
Of course my other Bad Cat could care less, he prefers a warm bed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Eddie, because of you, I've learned to appreciate sticks too... And yes, just like the other "Bad Cat" I know what to do on days like this.. curl up in a warm bed.

    ReplyDelete