Saturday, October 29, 2016

The centerpieces of fall


You can never forget what you have learned.

Have you ever seen something in a garden and asked yourself "how did they do that"?
Then you go home try it and it's just not the same.

Just the case when I saw some container plantings of a former employer of mine

" How did she get these vertical elements in her containers"? she was on to something, and I had to find out how it was done, I was on a mission, after all there was no way that by simply sticking sticks and branches or whatever in the soil could create the vertical results she was getting. 

I started working for her again, and I learned. 


Centerpieces


By simply taking cut branches or in this case fall stalks and bundling them together much the same way you would a floral bouquet you could make these centerpieces for you containers.




Centerpieces are put together with a series of  ties, such as wires, rubber bands, and lots of zip-ties
Bamboo center poles are used for added strength and also as support, and make sticking the centerpiece in the container easier 
The more cut materials you use the heavier the centerpiece becomes, sometime you need more than just two hands. 



I like to keep my centerpieces at a size which I can manage, you'll need one hand for holding and one hand for tying
A lot of work it seems but I love the results.

Here's a look at some centerpieces that I've done for some of my fall plantings.

I no longer work for this employer, but I never forgot what I learned













No comments:

Post a Comment