Saturday, January 21, 2012

"Snowday"

For as long as I can remember I loved the snow. I can remember sitting at the breakfast table listening to the radio to hear what schools would be closed due to the snow. My mother bundling me up in my snowsuit with the mittens that were attached to the sleeves by tiny suspenders. The rubber boots that went over my shoes with all the metal clamps. " Snow day" I can remember how it seemed all the neighbors were all outside shoveling their driveways and walkways. Snowmen and snow angels, snow castles,and snowball wars.Rosy red cheeks and runny noses. The sound of car tires spinning from those brave enough to venture out, and the sight of strangers helping to push and dig them out. Everyone seemed to have a opinion of the snow,whether you loved it or hatted it, we all had to deal with it. 

Here in Michigan we are use to snow,as early as October, as late as May it can be expected. So what happened this past year? No snow for Thanksgiving. No snow for Christmas, at least not enough to shovel, is this what they mean by Global Warming? Who do I write to about this, I'm supposed to be complaining about snow by now, not wishing for it! and whats with these 40 degree temps while we're at it. Maybe the snow angels herd our cry for snow, or at least my cry for it

We got snow, it's not a lot, just enough to barely cover the lawns and the side walks. I do love the way it seems to clean everything up. This is the view from my front porch looking down the street.


My winter pots look great with their snow coats on, this is a look I've waited all season for. This is the look I imagined these pots would have. Though I have removed the holiday lights the evergreens and the branches still celebrate the season of winter.

This winter pot was done for one of my clients. This photo was taken after one of our first light snowfalls that melted by the afternoon. Im sure the pot looks stunning now dressed in white framed by the snow covered shrubs. This is why I do winter pots

I always leave some of my holiday lights on in the backyard, so that I can photograph them in the snow. The snow always adds something new to these arangements. Winter gardening.

 This bird house was part of my holiday decoration, I moved it from the front porch to this bench in the backyard in anticipation of snow. This is winter here in Michigan,Thank you snow angels I'm glad I waited.

No comments:

Post a Comment