Sunday, January 22, 2017

A return to winter snow


And yes the sun  did come out the day after the Inauguration of Donald Trump.I chose not to watch any of it on TV
my own way of protest
In fact not only did the sun come out here in my Michigan  garden it was actually a very warm day,
unusually warm


We have had an unusual winter here. Frigid temperatures, and snow weeks before Christmas, a whooping 9 inches. By the time Christmas arrived it was gone, washed away with rain.
What happened to winter.


My grass is green, brown leaves litter the corners, the ones that the wind has gathered there, the trees are leafless and the skies are grey. The evergreens have their dark coats on, but there is no snow.
We have plenty of fog though

 I planted my Tulips yesterday, the ones that didn't make it into the ground in the fall, we'll see what happens.
It's not very often you get to do that,  this is a first for me.


Could it be that I'm  reminiscing  about winters of the past. I feel in a way cheated, in a strange way



Winters in January are supposed to be cold with a layer of snow several inches deep.
I check the weather forecast on an almost regular schedule, and feel a little disappointed when there is not even a chance of snow in our near future. It's like a 5th season, the one that is sort of like winter, sort of like  early spring but neither.


I think what I'm really missing is the beauty of the snow, the quiet cleansing effect it seems to give. I love looking out the window late at night and seeing a fresh coat developing, it all seems so still. Waking to a winter wonderland, and hearing snow shovels scraping, and blowers humming. 

Christmas lights under the snow. I always leave some of mine up just so I can see what they look like under the snow just in case our holiday was a snow less one. No such luck.


Maybe the snow will return, there's still plenty of winter to be had here.
If you happen to live in one of those states that usually does not get snow , but have it this year,
enjoy it


No comments:

Post a Comment