Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A forced spring

Believe it or not, it's still winter. According to most calenders spring doesn't officially start till late March.
I know, this winter has been mild for most of us, and maybe we'll have a early spring, who knows, I don't.
What I do know is that I'm ready for spring. 
A great way to get a jump start on spring, and decorate, is to use spring 
bulbs. Now is the time to plant up all those bulbs that you planted in containers and stored in your garage just for forcing. Don't worry I didn't do it either.
I just barely get my tulips planted in the fall, usually about a week before the Christmas lights go up.

Luckily, many stores have forced bulbs ready for those people like us.  All you have to do is pick up some of your favorites and replant them in a nice container, they occasionally come in plastic pots with that foil wrapping, that's why I said replant, unless you like that foil wrapping. I just think you could do something a little more creative, that's just me though

Bulbs in glass vases. It's kinda cool to see the actual bulb and the roots.

Bulbs in baskets with moss, a natural look. Make sure you line the basket with plastic, or place a water tight container inside the basket. Secure the bulbs with gravel or decorative stones

 This is cute, bulbs in tea cups. Cover the edges with moss for a natural look. The bulbs don't really need soil, just water. Make sure the bulbs just rest above the water line, other wise the  water will rot the bulbs, you don't want rotting bulbs.

There are special containers just for bulbs you can use those too. Oh yea, this is assuming you know what forcing bulb is. Simply it's fooling bulbs or plants to think it's a different season, so you can enjoy them inside.
 It's a nice way to get a jump start on the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment