Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Desert Garden.

I live in an area where green is a familiar color, Green lawns,trees,plants,shrubs,etc. On a recent trip to Nevada I came across a different kind of garden. A hot dry garden, a desert garden.

Nevada gets very little rainfall, which only allows the toughest of plants to survive. Water here is scarce and must be used wisely. Most of the plants used in urban landscapes are drip-irrigated. I saw very few lawns here. These are Aloes, planted almost like a ground cover.

To my surprise I was  familiar with some of the plants, like this Prickley Pear cactus, other plants treated like annuals in my area are thriving perennials here

"Wow Barrel cactus", I had never see them this big. I'm familiar only with the ones you can get here at Home Depot in 2inch pots

Mulch was a rarity here too, the soil is dry and rocky, these plants don't need too much moisture.

This cactus didn't make it, well it looks like it had a happy life, see how the arms are waving.

These are the seed pods, what a show these must put on when in bloom.

Most of the plants were thorny or prickly, I do love the architectural shapes of Agave's.

"ouch" Some plants could be used for security.

The  plant materials do lend themselves very well to modern like landscapes. The plants are sculptural and thrive with little or no care. Just another type of garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment